Tips for Keeping Your Minivan in Great Shape
So you have officially become the proud owner of a minivan. You may have dreamt about the day you became a soccer mom (or dad), or you may have sworn up and down that it would never happen to you. No, you were the sporty hatchback type. Regardless of your journey – here you are. Since you arrived at this special moment in time, where the minivan has become your highest quality tool and your right-hand man, let us give you some tips on keeping your investment in tip-top shape!
How to Keep Your Minivan Clean
Whether you are using your Minivan as a kid mobile, transport vehicle, or tool emporium, there is no doubt that it is getting some hard love. Here are a few tips on keeping your ride bonafide!
- Trash does not go on the floor. Installing a trash collector in each row will save you a considerable amount of clean-up duty. You can choose a nifty bin or repurpose a shopping bag. Securing it to the backrest lever or lining the seat pockets works great.
- Vacuum regularly. Weekly, bi-weekly, or even monthly is fine. Cleaning all the debris out of the vehicle often will keep it from excessive buildup and grime.
- Deep clean when needed. Deep cleaning doesn't have to be complicated or time-consuming. A ziplock bag in the glovebox with a spray bottle, washcloth, toothbrush, toothpicks, and cotton swabs will take on almost any calamity.
- Rinse and Repeat. Having consistent vehicle hygiene habits is the best and most affordable way to keep your investment in good condition.
How to Keep Your Minivan Running Well
Whether it's your forever vehicle or your season of life tool, you want to keep your Minivan spinning like a top. If budgeting is the whole battle, then planning is half of it. This is the rundown of optimal maintenance tasks and when they need to be done.
Every Month: Check your Fluids!
- Windshield wiper fluid
Every 3 Months: Maintenance Checks and Changes
- Change oil
- Transmission fluid
- Battery and cables
- Air filter
- Power steering fluid
Every 6 Months: Maintenance
- Rotate tires
- Cabin air filter
- Chassis lubrication
- Spark plugs
- Wiper blades
- Check brake system
- Maintain coolant system
Many of us choose the convenience of a Minivan to protect our precious cargo on the road. Here are a few tips to maximize safety while you live your best life!
Buckle Up Right!
- Get appropriate car seats for your children's age and size.
- Know when kids can skip the booster. This varies per state but you can find the South Carolina Laws here.
- Make sure your seat belt fits you right. An adult seat belt fits correctly when:
- The shoulder belt lies across the middle of the chest and shoulder, not the neck or throat.
- The lap belt is low and snug across the upper thighs, not the belly.
Organize Your Ride!
- Loose items in your vehicle can become dangerous projectiles in the force of an accident. It is very important to make a place for everything and to keep everything in its place.
- Distracted Driving is a real issue and the statistics are scary. You likely already have a busy schedule and lots of little people in the vehicle. Don't let “stuff” get your focus off the road.
- Check out our best organization tips here.
We have said it before and we will say it again: Emergency Kits!
- Having an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle gives you more than peace of mind. It can save your life!
When the rubber hits the road, make sure your family is safe! At North Hills Auto we care about your safety, that's why we offer our Annual Safety Inspection. Swing on in for peace of mind.
Call North Hills Auto at Augusta St (864) 233-9002 or Butler Rd (864) 234-1002.