Tips for Organizing Your Car in 2021
2021 is finally here! We are looking forward to a new year and a fresh start! When you set your goals, freshen your space, and consider all the new things that 2021 may offer, don’t forget to spruce up your ride! I’m sure we all need a good clean out after the holiday season but a clear mind isn’t the only reason to organize your vehicle, nope, a messy cab is actually a safety hazard!
A Messy Vehicle Is A Safety Hazard?
Yep, it’s true. Your stress level isn’t all that suffers from a messy ride! Here are a few examples of how a disorganized auto could potentially be a safety hazard.
- A disorganized vehicle may mean leaning down while driving to find a cell phone that has slid on the floor, or looking in the backseat for that name tag that you’re sure you grabbed. Taking your eyes off the road for a moment is all it takes for a fender bender or worse.
- Items that are free to move around in your vehicle may seem small right now but can become lethal in an accident. Depending on the size of the object, and the speed you’re going when you hit impact, small items can create a very serious situation. Even a quick stomp on the brakes to avoid a fender bender can send items flying around your vehicle dangerously.
- Teens and young adults are especially at risk when it comes to distracted driving. Busy school and work schedules are stressful enough for our young drivers, add in all the disorganized gear that goes with their daily tasks and your “stressful day” can become a dangerous one in the blink of an eye. Sending your kids off into the New Year with a clean and organized ride may be the best gift of the season!
The Best Organization Tips For Your Auto
Have you ever had a distraught teenager searching the car frantically for their math book (the one that’s sitting at home by their cereal bowl.) Maybe you have experienced assuring the police officer that you have your insurance card somewhere, (you just haven’t seen it in since you opened the envelope it came in.) We have all been there. These are the moments when small organizations can pay big dividends! Here is a shortlist of really simple tips to keep your ride mess-free!
- Organize the compartments at your disposal well. Glove compartments are for vehicle paperwork, not hot sauce packets!
- Keep trash in a bag - not on the floor.
- Put containers in the trunk to hold items for different tasks. A basket for books and devices, a basket for your work shoes and name tag, a basket for your kids’ sports gear or band equipment. A basket for your emergency supplies. A place for everything and everything in its place creates a clear car and a clear headspace!
- Use clear plastic zippy bags for your kids en route entertainment. This helps them quickly find their stuff. Items like drawing pads, devices, or snacks, should be stowed away in the seat pocket in front of them when not in use.
Don’t let a messy vehicle cost you money or cause you to stress! Whether you're commuting every day or taking a joy ride on your work-from-home lunch break, your drive should be an enjoyable task. We here at North Hills Auto care about the safety and well being of our customers. If you’re concerned about any other automotive issues, stop by North Hills Auto for our Annual Safety Inspection.